Christ Church has been serving the people of Norris Green since the estate was developed nearly 100 years ago.
Church life began in 1927 in an old army hut on Scarisbrick Road, moving to new art deco buildings on Sedgemoor Road in 1932. For over 70 years, Christ Church shared the ups and downs and the ever-changing fortunes of this large North Liverpool housing estate.
Sadly, in 2005, after years of decline, these buildings were in a terrible state; cold, damp, unwelcoming and described by a member of the local community as “not fit for purpose in the modern world”.
This led the small and exhausted congregation to make the bold decision to leave the old building and worship at Leamington Primary School. Our hope was that our focus might shift from maintaining an increasingly unused building to building a ‘mission-shaped’ church that served its local community in generosity, compassion and care.
Following a spree of vandalism and arson attacks which rendered them unsafe, the church buildings were demolished in 2006.
Once again the congregation made the bold decision to convert the vicarage next door into a Church Community Centre, providing space for our growing community engagement in Norris Green.
The following decade saw remarkable growth, as a growing congregation and good collaborative relationships with community partners were able to deliver more and better quality services to different groups of people within Norris Green.
The Community Centre quickly came into full use, hosting a number of important activities - a Foodbank distribution centre, children’s and youth groups, summer playscheme and holiday clubs, coffee mornings and craft groups, healthy eating and confidence and self-esteem classes, along with midweek fellowship groups, worship and prayer meetings.
With the development of the garden, the site has offered a great place for community events, often attracting 100s of people.
During these years we were also investing significantly with our church partners at The Good Shepherd and St Christopher’s to develop our community work through our charity Triple C (Liverpool). The charity is based at Christ Church and works across a variety of projects to help improve life for our neighbours and friends here in Liverpool 11. This diverse offering to the community has helped to build on an established reputation within the neighbourhood. Christ Church has also partnered with other local churches to develop the charity, Triple C (Liverpool), whose offices are based in the centre.
The growth of Christ Church and its heart of the community, inspired the congregation to look to build again and we were delighted to open Christ Church Cabin in October 2020.
The Cabin offers a fabulous multipurpose space, serving church and community and quickly became well used and much loved! As the Cabin opened we invested again in landscaping the site, adding more play facilities to the garden as well as developing our car park! Christ Church buildings now offer a flexible space and a bright and beautiful addition to community space in Norris Green.